Quantcast

Britons’ Brexit fears revealed

00:00
00:00
Sample Title
Brexit leading to fear

 

New research has revealed the top ten most common Brexit fears that Britons have, including worries around certain foods being banned or unavailable, children no longer being taught European languages at school and European holidays becoming a thing of the past. According to the poll, more than two thirds of voters did not understand the full impact of Brexit at the time of voting.

New research has unveiled some of the more bizarre expectations that Britons have in the aftermath of Brexit, including worries around food and drink being banned, effects on the school syllabus and the UK coming under the rule of the Scottish government. 

The team at VoucherCodesPro conducted the research as part of an ongoing study into how Britons feel Brexit will impact their finances. 2,089 Britons aged 18 and over were quizzed about their thoughts surrounding Brexit and how they felt it could potentially affect them and their finances.

Initially all respondents were asked which way they had voted with regards to Brexit. 57% of respondents stated that they had voted ‘for Brexit’, whilst the remaining 43% stated that they had voted ‘against Brexit’. Of those who voted ‘for’ Brexit, 43% confessed that they were worried about the future of the economy, whilst 78% of those who voted ‘against’ had the same concerns.

All respondents were then asked what factors they believed could be the outcome of Brexit. When provided with a list of possible options and told to select all that applied, ten of the most bizarre Brexit fears were revealed as follows:

1.     European foods may be banned/unavailable in the UK e.g. croissants, Gouda cheese - 17%

2.     Britons will be banned from living abroad - 17%

3.     European drinks/alcohol will be banned/unavailable in the UK e.g. Prosecco, Cava, Champagne - 16%

4.     Pupils will not be taught European languages at school – 15%

5.     Britons will be banned from travelling abroad - 14%

6.     Foreign students will no longer be able to study in the UK - 14%

7.     Products will not be held to such high safety standards - 12%

8.     The UK will eventually be ruled by the Scottish government - 11%

9.     Drivers will have to drive on the opposite side of the road - 9%

10.  All those not born in the UK will have to leave - 8%

Furthermore, when asked how long they anticipated it would take for any new laws or changes to come into effect, a quarter of respondents believed they will ‘never’ come in (24%).

 

According to the poll, 69% of respondents admitted that they don’t truly understand politics or the future impact of Brexit, and voted largely based upon ‘their gut feeling’ (45%) or ‘how their friends and family voted’ (41%).

George Charles, spokesperson for VoucherCodesPro, commented: “Rational or irrational, these fears show just how ill-informed we are about Brexit and what lies ahead.

 “It’s no surprise people are worried, given the uncertainty in the current economy and political climate. It’s highly doubtful that any of these fears will translate into reality, but it’s an insight into how the public is feeling at the moment and the concerns we have about the future of our country – some more valid than others. What we should really take from this is that the government as a whole has a responsibility to educate us in an unbiased and straightforward way, so that we clearly understand the arguments and consequences.”

France
Spain
Australia
UK
Share/Save
 

About Expatsradio

Expats radio was started at the end of 2005 as a small test website to see if anybody would actually be interested in talking to us or listening to what we had to say. The answer? A resounding yes! Since then through a number of exciting developments and collaborations we have become even better. Read more

Latest blog posts

Special rates for your business ad

If your business needs promotion why not consider sponsoring a programme here on EPR?

We are putting together a new schedule!

EPR is working on new content at the moment so if you have a special interest, why not let us know? We are looking for content on topics such as gardening and building/maintenance.